French Press Brew Guide
If you have the freshest coffee on the planet at your disposal, it makes sense to treat it right to get the best from the bean. This is Devoción's recommended recipe brew guide for brewing specialty coffee in a french press at home.
You will need
- French Press
- 30 grams of coffee, coarsely ground
- Spoon or Stirrer
Brew Time: 4 Minutes
This recipe is for a single cup of coffee. For larger batches, use a 1:10 coffee-to-water ratio to calculate your recipe (Ex. 50g coffee and 500 mL water).
- Bring water to a boil and allow to rest for 30 seconds.
- Grind 30 grams of coffee or weigh out 30 grams of coarsely ground coffee.
- Pre-heat your French press with the hot water. Discard.
- Place your French press on a scale, add coffee and tare.
- Start your timer. Slowly pour 100 mL of water onto the coffee grounds.
- Gently stir to evenly saturate the coffee grounds. Allow to bloom for 30 seconds. This will help achieve the most complexity out of your coffee.
- Pour 200 mL of water onto the grounds and place the lid on the press. Let your coffee steep until your timer reaches 4 minutes.
- At 4 minutes, slowly press the filter down and immediately decant your coffee. Allowing your coffee to sit in the press will extend your brew time, resulting in bitter tasting coffee.